"Greatness is not found in possessions, power, position, or prestige. It is discovered in goodness, humility, service, and character." William Arthur Ward

As parents, we want everything for our children. We love and cherish them from the moment they are born; we protect, feed and clothe them, nurture their minds, bolster their spirits, smile as they grow, rejoice in their triumphs, and comfort them in their sorrows.

Foremost in the joy of having children is to see them excel - to have them exceed our capabilities, limitations and hopes.

Our mission to own and end poverty is more than just a career path for us; it is a calling, it is our life's work - to prepare the next generation for the challenges that lie ahead.

As such, asking you to entrust your children to our care is not something we take lightly. GO ED. acutely understands the concerns and anxieties that parents face - we're parents too. We have decades of field experience, and a list of safety protocols and procedures in place to ensure that all necessary precautions are taken.

We encourage you to explore our site for more information, as well as accounts of other parents who have sent their children to GO ED.


GO ED.'s semester study abroad program incorporates the best of pedagogical practice, curriculum design and spiritual development. They have been created to nurture transformational development within the self - to engage hands, heads and hearts as a unified whole and foster meaningful change through physical action and spiritual growth.

We operate in two regional locations: Africa (since Fall 2006); Mekong (since Fall 2009).

GO ED. seeks to promote and to provoke individual transformation through five program components:

Cross-cultural learning environments

Rigorous and relevant curriculum taught by qualified academics

Supervised field practicum contributing to the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs):

Shared life in international community accompanied by field-experienced staff

Guided Christian spiritual formation to enhance the experience of the journey undertaken

GO ED. students spend 16 weeks in their chosen location. They attend four 3-credit classes during the semester and participate in a four-week field practicum project.

One unique aspect of the GO ED. program that sets us apart is the ten-year, post-attendance mentoring phase for alumni, where we help students cope with re-entry and reverse culture shock, network and provide resources, as well as facilitate opportunities for projects and initiatives directed towards ending poverty.

If you would like to speak with GO ED. alumni to learn more, please email Jordan Smith or call 1-484-427-GOED.


GO ED. partners with international relief and development organizations around the globe.

Our shared vision leads us into countries undergoing severe hardship and poverty with the ultimate objective of helping to own poverty and transform lives.

The development organizations we partner with have extensive field experience and GO ED. taps this expertise via resource sharing, operational protocols, cross-cultural knowledge transfer, mentoring and the use of field site access.

The student life component of the GO ED. program is designed to complement the academic component with structured activities and resources for community involvement. Student life is a culmination of cultural, social, spiritual and academic elements.

While the day-to-day components vary from country to country, the objective of student life is to apply academic theories to actual relationships and opportunities.

Through community living, service learning, practicum, guided spiritual formation and interaction with the international population, students experience the unique dynamic between learning and living - discovering that one element cannot exist without the other, and indeed, that one enhances the other.

The health and safety of our students is of utmost importance to GO ED. We work to ensure that students are oriented to make informed decisions regarding program selection and wise choices for safe behavior abroad. These policies are informed by over 30 years of operational history in international relief and development.

Apart from preparatory measures - vaccinations & immunizations, briefings & orientations (both in the US and host countries) - we also have in place various safety protocols, procedures and response plans; issuing each student with a cell phone and requiring all students to move about in pairs are two examples of our established travel protocols in the field.

We also hold regular post-semester and post-practicum debriefings not only to obtain students' feedback but also to gather best practices to further refine and improve our existing policies.

The cost of attending GO ED. is the standard tuition, room & board of the student's home college or university (sending institution). The student is responsible for paying these regular fees to the home university. We will collect all GO ED. program fees directly from the sending institution. Other than the application fee and deposit (see below), the student does not pay any other fees.

GO ED. Program fees cover:

tuition, room, board, insurance, and international airfare (roundtrip from US Orientation to GO ED. location), and any local or regional travel required for the program.

The student is responsible for:

• Paying all regular fees to the home college or university
• All personal expenses
• Domestic travel to/from US Orientation
• Passport fees
• Costs associated with medical care or clinical visits in the field (the insurance coverage will reimburse most of these costs)
• Vaccinations/Immunizations
• Spending money for non-program activities

Additional Costs:

• $50.00 Application Fee - which is due when the application is submitted. Applications will not be processed until this fee is received.
• $300.00 deposit - which is due from the student once accepted into the GO ED. program. The $300.00 will be put towards the costs of tuition and is deducted from total program fees paid by the student's sending institution.

Financial Aid

While GO ED. does not offer financial assistance, there are many sources of funding available to students studying abroad. Alternative financing options help students pay the costs not covered by their current financial aid.

Please refer to the following (non-exhaustive) list of resources:

Study Abroad Financial Aid Websites - Study Abroad Funding - International Education Financing - International Education Financial Aid - Loans for Study Abroad - Financial Aid Finder, Study Abroad Resource Center - Financial Aid for Study Abroad students

Personal & Student Loans - Student Loans - Student Loans - Student Loans - Student Loans - Student Loans - Student Loans - Student Loans - Personal & Student Loans - Personal & Student Loans

Scholarship Searches - IIE Passport database of study abroad scholarships, fellowships, and grants - Scholarship database sponsored by UMN's Learning Abroad Center - Scholarship Database - Listing of grants, scholarships, loan programs for students wishing to study abroad

National Scholarships - The Rotary Foundation's Ambassadorial Scholarship program is the world's largest privately funded international scholarship program. - The David L. Boren Scholarship provides awards to undergraduate students to study abroad in areas of the world that are critical to U.S. interests. - The Freeman-ASIA is designed to support American undergraduates with demonstrated financial need planning to study in East or Southeast Asia. - Benjamin Gilman Scholarship provides awards for U.S. undergraduate students who receive federal Pell Grant funding to participate in study abroad programs worldwide. - The Global Studies Foundation (GSF) Student Grant provides supplemental funds for American students studying abroad. - Competition based study abroad grants administered by The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi. to Study Abroad.htm - The Corinne Jeannine Schillings Foundation awards scholarships to those who have attained the Silver Award Girl Scout and plan to study abroad. - Website of the Canadian Bureau for International Education listing funding opportunities for Canadians desiring to study abroad.



Parent FAQs

Q: How much does GO ED. cost?
A: GO ED. charges the standard tuition, room & board from the student's home college or university. We will collect all GO ED. program fees directly from the sending institution. The student pays for personal expenses, domestic travel to/from U.S. Orientation, passport fees, vaccinations, the $50 application fee, and the $300 program deposit.

Q: Will my student receive academic credit for GO ED.?
A: Yes. The GO ED. program is affiliated with accredited institutions overseas. Your child's GO ED. transcript will be sent to his home college or university. For more information, please click here.

Q: Does GO ED. offer financial aid or scholarships?
A: No, GO ED. does not offer financial aid or scholarships at this time. For more information on financial assistance, click here.

Q: What are the deadlines for GO ED.?
A: Spring:
October 15 - We must receive the student's application and all corresponding documents by this date (If the 15th falls on a weekend, documents are due the Friday before).
November 10 - GO ED. will notify students of acceptance

April 15 - We must receive the student's application and all corresponding documents by this date (If the 15th falls on a weekend, documents are due the Friday before).
May 10 - GO ED. will notify students of acceptance

Q: When does my student depart and return?
A: For the Spring semester it is the second week of January with return around the first week of May and for the Fall semester it is the third week of August with return around the first week of December.

Q: Who teaches GO ED. classes? Will my student be studying with local students?
A: A combination of GO ED. staff and professors from host institutions teach GO ED. classes. Because GO ED. students spend only four-five weeks in one area, they do not take traditional classes at local institutions.

Q: Where will my student live? Are there chaperones? Can you provide pictures of the housing?
A: Your student will live in an GO ED. guesthouse while taking classes. During practicum, student housing could range from a guesthouse in town to a home stay with a local family in a rural village. Each GO ED. location has student life coordinators, living with the students as they take classes. View photos of the GO ED. guesthouse in Kigali, Rwanda.

Q: Does my student need insurance for GO ED.?
A: Yes, your student must have insurance while attending GO ED. We require all GO ED. students to purchase an International Student ID card ( This card includes basic emergency medical and dental insurance.

Q: How does communication work while my student is away from the USA?
A: You can e-mail, call, or text your student while he/she is gone. Your student will be issued a cell phone while overseas; it is recommended that parents get an international calling plan while their student is overseas. Students will have Internet access, though in some places it will be intermittent. Many parents also use Skype for calling and instant messaging; this program can be downloaded from the Internet for free at

Q: How often will my student have Internet access? Phone access?
A: Most of the guesthouses or offices have Internet access. While taking classes, your student will have fairly regular Internet access. During practicum, Internet is typically limited in rural areas. Your student will be issued a personal cell phone, but please remember the time difference when calling! Also note that student cell phones can receive calls for free, but students must pay to make a call.

Q: What documents will my student need for GO ED.?
A: To apply, your student will need three recommendations (faculty, pastor/chaplain, and study abroad advisor) and an official college transcript. Once accepted, your student will need a passport, three extra passport pictures, an International Student ID Card, an Immunization Card, and a driver's license. Visas will be purchased upon arrival.

Q: What immunizations should my student receive?
A: Immunizations depend on the GO ED. location that your student selects. A list of recommended immunizations can be found at the Center for Disease Control's website ( Once accepted, your student will receive information on what immunizations are required.

Q: Will I receive an itinerary of where my student will be during GO ED.?
A: Yes. Once accepted, your student will receive an information kit containing the itinerary, requirements, and a packing list, among other things. You will also receive the itinerary and semester calendar.

Q: Will my student carry cash? Will he/she be able to use a credit/debit card?
A: Cash is generally the best form of money to carry in GO ED. locations. Your student should bring a minimum of $150-$200 per month; a safe box will be provided in the main guesthouse to store cash. Students should bring only a Visa credit card (Discover, Mastercard, etc, are not widely accepted). Do not send your student with Traveler's Checks, as they are very expensive to cash.

Q: Can I send my student mail and packages? How long will they take to arrive?
A: We encourage you to send mail and packages. Be warned that mail takes between 3-5 weeks to arrive; send it well in advance. Packages have a rough journey, so pack items securely; they could be inspected by customs, so adhere to any guidelines for your student's country. You can find USPS international shipping guidelines by country here. (

Q: Will someone meet my student at the airport? Will my student travel to the GO ED. location alone?
A: Your student will fly to the U.S. orientation location. Each GO ED. group will then fly to their chosen location together, with a chaperone. Upon arrival in their country, they will be met and taken to the GO ED. guesthouse. During the semester, students are not allowed to travel alone; they must travel in pairs or with a staff member.

Q: How can I help my student to adjust to life overseas? How can I help my student to readjust to the USA?
A: Encourage your student to connect with the local community and fellow GO ED. students. Students who spend most of their free time talking to family and friends back home have the hardest time adjusting. When your student returns, he/she will have many new experiences to process and to share. Be willing to listen patiently as your student shares his/her experiences. The biggest struggle for previous students has been finding someone to listen and to understand while they work through issues of poverty and injustice. We recommend that you educate yourself on your student's location so that you will have a common basis for conversation when your student returns.

Q: How safe are the countries that GO ED. operates in?
A: Student safety is a priority for GO ED. Please remember that GO ED. operates in developing countries as it introduces students to issues of poverty and injustice. We are constantly in connection with field staff that have daily contact with your students.

Q: What are the political situations in the countries where my student will travel?
A: Political situations in developing countries can change often. For information on your student's region, we suggest using the CIA Fact book.

Q: What happens to my student if the political situation in his country destabilizes?
A: GO ED. takes the safety of your student seriously. If GO ED. directors feel the country has become unstable, they will remove the students immediately.

Q: Can I visit my student while he is doing GO ED.?
A: Students are only in their GO ED. region for four months. We encourage them to develop relationships among the local community and with their fellow students. Students who are overly connected with home often struggle to integrate with their region. Therefore, we recommend that you not visit your student while he/she is in GO ED.

Q: What if my student gets sick? What medical facilities are near GO ED. locations?
A: Students visit local medical facilities within their first week of arrival in their region and are familiarized with the medical office. Staff will accompany students in need of medical attention to the medical center.

Q: Will my student have a translator?
A: No. Locals are often proficient in English in the GO ED. locations.

Q: How will GO ED. staff help my student integrate into the culture?
A: GO ED. works with local affiliations to connect your student with national students. These partners introduce your student to local culture, transportation, food, and language.

Q: What will my student eat?
A: GO ED. guesthouses have cooks. Students will be introduced to the food of their region as part of their cultural integration.

Q: Will my student do any independent travel? Will he be alone for extended periods?
A: No. Students are required to travel in pairs when they are not with GO ED. staff. They must receive parental permission for any non-GO ED. organized trips.

Q: What if my student doesn't like GO ED.? What if they want to return in the middle of the semester?
A: Your student can return at any time. However, he/she will lose any academic credits and may have to pay additional fees.

Financial Aid FAQs

Q: Does GO ED. offer financial aid?
A: GO ED. does not offer scholarships, loans or grants. However, your Federal or Government Aid may be used as long as it is processed through your Home Institution. Additionally, there are many alternative sources of funding available for study abroad listed here

Q: How do I find out if my Home Institution will let me use my financial aid to study abroad with GO ED.?
A: Some schools may have specific rules with regards to third party study abroad providers like GO ED. You will need to speak to the Study Abroad Office and/or the Financial Aid Office at your Home Institution for help in determining if your financial aid can be used.

Q: I have already completed my FAFSA for this year. Now that I have decided to go abroad, do I need to complete a new one?
A: No. Only one FAFSA per Financial Aid year is needed.

Q: Does GO ED. have a Title IV Code that I can use on the FAFSA?
A: No. GO ED. has no Title IV code; therefore we cannot be one of the institutions included on your FAFSA form. Since we are not a Title IV Institution all Federal or Government Aid must be processed through your Home Institution.

Q: Can I use the overseas institution's Title IV Code?
A: No. You will not be directly enrolled at the overseas institution, but will be enrolled through GO ED. The overseas institution will not process Financial Aid for third party study abroad students. Your Federal or Government Aid must be processed through your Home Institution.

Q: Can I get more financial aid awarded to me since my Study Abroad program costs more than my Home Institution?
A: Yes. You may be able to receive more funds now that you are enrolled with GO ED. to study abroad. Federal law states that financial aid can cover all "reasonable" costs for a study abroad program. Work out a sample budget (we can help you with this) and take this to your Home Institution's Financial Aid Office to determine if any adjustments to your current Financial Aid Award can be made.

Q: What are my other options if my Home Institution won't transfer my financial aid?
A: You may still be able to get Private Loans processed through your Home Institution, speak to your Study Abroad Office and/or your Financial Aid Office for more information. Additionally, there are many available study abroad scholarship and loan programs listed here; you may also consider applying for an ISLP Loan (

Q: What if I am taking a leave of absence from my Home Institution to study abroad?
A: If you will be taking a leave of absence from your Home Institution, but they will still be accepting your academic credits from your time abroad then you will be able to apply for an ISLP Loan (, in addition to many other scholarship and loan programs, to pay for GO ED.

Q: Can I use my 529 Plan to pay for GO ED.?
A: 529 Plans are State Sponsored College Saving Accounts based on stock portfolios. The rules surrounding their use and the withdrawal of funds vary from state to state. You will need to check on your individual plan requirements regarding what the funds can be used for. It is generally the case that the funds can only be used at accredited degree-granting institutions, or Title IV institutions. This means that if a student is not registered at their Home Institution and/or that Institution will not work with GO ED. on financial aid, then a student cannot use their 529 Plan to pay for their study abroad experience. However, the parent/529 contributor can withdraw funds from the 529 Plan at any time, for any reason, but certain tax penalties apply.


Request more information

Parent Testimonials

Read Student Stories